- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta or other small pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first 7 ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small sheet of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and crumble the beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the reserved pasta; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta, peas, barley and lentils are tender.
1 cup: 166 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.