Fried Sausage Grits
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil; slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until very thick; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add sausage and onion to grits; mix well. Spoon into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Chill overnight.
- Remove from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. Roll slices in cornmeal. In a large skillet, fry in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2010
My mother made a version of this. She called it 'scrapple' which, I guess, is the Southern variation of the classic cornmeal dish. I continue the tradition and give the choice of eating it with syrup or white gravy.