Fried Sausage Grits
My mother used to make a version of this recipe using hominy and salmon. One day I substituted sausage and grits and decided I liked it better than the original.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil; slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until very thick; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add sausage and onion to grits; mix well. Spoon into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Chill overnight.
- Remove from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. Roll slices in cornmeal. In a large skillet, fry in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Originally published as Fried Sausage Grits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Feb 4, 2010
My mother made a version of this. She called it 'scrapple' which, I guess, is the Southern variation of the classic cornmeal dish. I continue the tradition and give the choice of eating it with syrup or white gravy.