- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 package (12 ounces) refrigerated prosciutto ricotta tortellini
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional minced fresh basil
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In another bowl, stir together the next five ingredients.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. oil to 375°. Dip tortellini in egg mixture, then in bread crumb mixture to coat. Fry tortellini in batches, adding oil as necessary, until golden brown, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until softened. Stir in tomato puree, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with minced fresh basil.
- Serve tortellini with tomato sauce for dipping. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forFried Prosciutto Tortellini
"Very easy and oh so good! We lived St. Louis for 5 years and this recipe reminded us of the Hill and toasted ravioli. My husband loved it! We will make this again"