- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and hot pepper sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the onions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forFried Onion Patties
"These onion patties would go really well with pinto beans and fried potatoes. I made them with pork chops, au gratin potatoes, and green beans. Out of curiosity, I added tuna to the last little bit of batter and fried them like fish cakes. These were also very good, but if I used this recipe for fish cakes, I would definitely cut down on the amount of onion (probably by half). I will use also use salmon next time."
"We plunked ours in the deep-fryer and thus, they were not flat, but they were still yummy. If you do this, we found that drops of batter a little smaller than a tablespoon worked better"