Holidays are times to wow guests with awesome recipes like this. A crisp coating holds marvelous melted cheese, which tastes terrific when dipped into a homemade tomato sauce.—Jay Davis, Knoxville, Tennessee
Featured In: 23 Favorite Italian Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut cheese into twenty-four 1/4-in. slices. Place the eggs, flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip cheese slices in eggs, then coat with flour. Dip cheese again in eggs and coat with crumbs. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute garlic in 1 tablespoon oil for 1 minute; add the tomatoes, oregano, sugar, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- In a large skillet, cook cheese slices in remaining oil over medium heat for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce. Yield: 2 dozen appetizers (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Fried Mozzarella Cheese Appetizers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p19