Here's an appetizer that will heat up any gathering. Family and friends often request that I make these jalapenos. —DeLea Lonadier, Montgomery, Louisiana
Featured In: 50 Recipes for Homemade State Fair Food
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) whole jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 jar (5 ounces) olive-pimiento cheese spread
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut off stems and remove seeds from peppers. Stuff with cheese spread. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt, pepper and buttermilk until smooth; set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine remaining flour and cornmeal. Dip stuffed peppers into buttermilk batter, then dredge in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry peppers, a few at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Fried Jalapenos in Country April/May 2000, p51
Reviews forFried Jalapenos
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2013
"Really quite good..."