I loved fried green tomatoes when I was a child. As an adult, I was able to combine two more of my favorite culinary delights to complement this classic dish and bring it to a new level. The combination of flavor is unbelievable.—Vickie Birkenmeyer West Palm Beach, Florida
Recommended: Your August Meal Plan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 small onion, halved
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- For the pesto, place the first eight ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip tomato slices in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, fry tomatoes in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Layer 12 tomato slices with 1 tablespoon pesto and 1 tablespoon goat cheese; top with remaining tomato slices. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Pesto in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p10