This recipe is for lovers of red and green tomatoes. When I ran across this recipe, I just had to try it and it proved to be so tasty! —Barbara Mohr, Millington, Michigan
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 2 medium red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 slices Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon
- Mix first four ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; refrigerate until serving. Place flour in a shallow bowl; place egg whites in a separate shallow bowl. In a third bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and remaining pepper.
- Cut each tomato crosswise into four slices. Lightly coat each slice in flour; shake off excess. Dip in egg whites, then in cornmeal mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, cook tomatoes until golden brown, 4-5 minutes per side.
- In same pan, lightly brown Canadian bacon on both sides. For each serving, stack one slice each green tomato, bacon and red tomato. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomato Stacks in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p152