Fried Green Tomato Lasagna Recipe
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 large green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Dip green tomato slices in flour; brown in skillet on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain. Spoon 3/4 cup tomato mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with a third of the green tomatoes; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 255 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Fried Green Tomato Lasagna
"This is so good. Made it today as a side dish. The tomatoes are from our own garden. Since Green Tomatoes are not available in stores where we live, I can only make this in the summer when we have a garden."
"If you are going to make a comment please read the recipe entirely. There are fried green tomatoes in the dish. I have not made this yet but will this summer when I have lots of both ripe & green tomatoes. Thanks for the idea."
"I wanted green tomato recipe and that is what this one says--but the first ingredient is large ripe tomaoes. Forget this one and please change listing."