Fried Green Tomato BLTs
You might call this Southern-inspired sandwich comfort food with a twist. The chipotle mayonnaise adds a delicious kick, while the peppered bacon really punches up the flavor. —Neilla Roe, kingston, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package thick-sliced peppered bacon strips (24 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4-1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat chipotle mayonnaise
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In a small shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, seafood seasoning, pepper and salt. Place buttermilk and flour mixture in shallow bowl. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few slices at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve tomatoes on Texas toast with mayonnaise, bacon and lettuce.