You might call this Southern-inspired sandwich comfort food with a twist. The chipotle mayonnaise adds a delicious kick, while the peppered bacon really punches up the flavor. —Neilla Roe, kingston, Washington
Featured In: Classic Southern Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package thick-sliced peppered bacon strips (24 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4-1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 16 slices Texas toast
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat chipotle mayonnaise
- 8 Boston lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In a small shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, seafood seasoning, pepper and salt. Place buttermilk and flour mixture in shallow bowl. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry tomatoes, a few slices at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve tomatoes on Texas toast with mayonnaise, bacon and lettuce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomato BLTs in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p235
Reviews forFried Green Tomato BLTs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2013