Fried Green Napoleons with Mandarin Coleslaw
Fried green tomatoes get stacked and smothered with pimiento cheese in this seriously comforting dish that doubles up on two of my favorite Southern classics. The mandarin coleslaw makes it bright and fresh. —Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) three-color coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- FRIED TOMATOES:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 medium green tomatoes, cut into four slices each
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pimiento cheese spread
- 4 teaspoons pepper jelly
- Combine first six ingredients. Add coleslaw mix and onions. Add mandarin oranges; stir carefully.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and hot sauce. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tomato slices in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry tomato slices, a few at a time, until browned, 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- To assemble napoleons, layer one tomato slice with 1 tablespoon pimiento cheese. Repeat layers. Top with 1 teaspoon pepper jelly. Repeat with remaining tomato slices. Serve over coleslaw.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 487 calories, 31g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 1281mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Fried Green Napoleons w/Mandarin Cole Slaw in Taste of Home April/May 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.