VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) three-color coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- FRIED TOMATOES:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 medium green tomatoes, cut into eight slices
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pimiento cheese spread
- 4 teaspoons pepper jelly
- Combine first six ingredients. Add coleslaw mix and onions. Add mandarin oranges; stir carefully.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and hot sauce. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip tomato slices in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry tomato slices, a few at a time, until browned, 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- To assemble napoleons, layer one tomato slice with 1 tablespoon pimiento cheese. Repeat layers. Top with 1 teaspoon pepper jelly. Repeat with remaining tomato slices. Serve over coleslaw. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Napoleons with Mandarin Coleslaw in Taste of Home April/May 2018