Fried Corn Balls
These bite-size treats are so easy to make. Serve them as an appetizer or as a side to a beef or chicken entree.—Ronnie-Ellen Timoner, Middletown, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup crushed saltines (about 22 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, corn, cracker crumbs, sugar and baking powder (batter will be soft).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls; fry in batches until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Originally published as Fried Corn Balls in Country Extra September 2001