- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 fresh cherrystone clams, shucked
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine 3/4 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour with the water, forming a batter. In another bowl, combine the remaining cornmeal and flour.
- Dip clams in batter; shake off excess. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry clams, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately with sauce if desired. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forFried Clams
"I was really excited to try this recipe because I have always loved fried clam strips. Well, this is an awful lot of work with the cleaning and shucking; but even more so I just couldn't get past the idea that I would be eating something that looked so unappetizing. I actually never got to the frying part and I threw the clams away. I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I think this may be one of those dishes that you just need to be raised on."