Fried Cinnamon Strips
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Vegetable oil
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Cut tortillas into 3-in. x 2-in. strips. Heat 1 in. of oil in a cast-iron or other heavy skillet to 375°, fry 4-5 strips at a time until golden brown, 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- While still warm, place strips in bag with sugar mixture; shake gently to coat. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 44 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 23, 2015
These are so good and addictive!! I served them with a fruit salsa and they were a great hit.
May 27, 2012
These are wonderful, and so easy!
Feb 8, 2012
Very tasty and so so super simple!! Maybe not the healthiest choice, but great on occasion. I'm not big on sweets (or anything with nutmeg so I cut it in half) but my family loved these and I was surprised that I enjoyed them as well!
Apr 20, 2010
Fried cinnamon strips turn out so good to eat, my family eats them as fast as they can. It's an awesome treat and we make it whenever we have all the ingredients.
Aug 24, 2009
Made these for dessert tonight to go with our taco dinner. The kids LOVED them. I used vegetable oil for cooking them and would recommend setting up "stations": one with the cut-up tortillas, one with a plate with a paper towel on it and a container to put the finished tortillas in after you cover them with sugar/cinnamon. If you cut up the tortillas a little larger you don't feel like you are cooking and cooking and cooking. (I could only cook 4/5 at a time as the recipe stated in the directions.) Also, wait until the tortillas are warm, not hot--I melted my plastic bag!
Feb 22, 2009
I made these for the first time at Christmas. Wonderful!! People thought it was homemade dough, and it reminds me of an elephant ear.