VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 to 6 large cactus pads (about 8 inches x 4 inches)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup saltine crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for frying
- Picante sauce
- Remove all needles and spines from cactus pads. Slice into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Wash thoroughly; drain and pat dry. Set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. In another bowl, lightly beat eggs and milk. Combine the bread and saltine crumbs, chili powder, cayenne pepper and remaining salt; set aside. Dredge cactus strips in flour mixture, shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry strips until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with picante sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fried Cactus Strips in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p45