Our home economists' nuts-and-bolts appetizers feature mushroom caps and zucchini sticks. Assemble them earlier in the day and chill until ready to deep fry.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 16 medium fresh mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Oil for frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce, optional
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Cut a thin layer from the top of mushroom caps; cut mushroom edges, forming a hexagon shape. Cut zucchini lengthwise into quarters, then into 2-in. pieces. Trim one end to fit into mushroom caps.
- Insert a toothpick through the top of the mushroom into the zucchini, leaving about 1 in. of toothpick to use as a handle for dipping.
- In a small shallow bowl, beat the eggs and water. In another bowl, combine the flour, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, cayenne and cumin. Dip zucchini-mushroom bolts in egg mixture, then coat with flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry bolts in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with sweet-and-sour sauce if desired.
Originally published as "Bolt" Rolls in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.