Fresh Vegetable Omelet
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, water and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat eggs and salt until thick and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Fold in the whites.
- 2. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat or until puffed and lightly browned on the bottom. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until a knife inserted 2 in. from edge comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the tomato, zucchini, onion, green pepper and Italian seasoning until tender. Carefully run a knife around edge of ovenproof skillet to loosen omelet. With a knife, score center of omelet. Place vegetables on one side and sprinkle with cheese; fold other side over filling. Slide onto a serving plate; cut in half.
1/2 each: 222 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 231mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 12, 2017
We don't feel the need to follow this recipe again. It was interesting, but just SO fluffy that it made it difficult to fold over. Also, the texture and flavor was too much an unsweetened meringue.
Jan 7, 2011
My wife and children loved this recipe, I would recommend this to eveyone.
May 23, 2010
Very good! I added some chopped green pepper to the other vegetables.