Fresh Tomato Tart
This tart is best with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. It's so pretty to the eye and tastes fabulous! —Julie Ferron
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to tart pan; trim pastry even with edge. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Remove sides of tart pan. Place crust on a serving plate. Arrange mozzarella over crust with slices overlapping. Spread with pesto. Arrange tomato slices in an overlapping pattern on top. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 361 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Tomato Tart in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.