Fresh Tomato Pasta
Garden-fresh veggies and herbs blend together beautifully in this flavorful pasta sauce recipe from our Test Kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- Make a slit in each tomato. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute; drain. When cool enough to handle, remove skins and discard. Seed and chop tomatoes; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil and oregano. Drain pasta; toss with tomato mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Garden Tomato Sauce with Pasta in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006
Sep 27, 2013
This was pretty good. Quite fast prep & of course, we increased the amount of fresh herbs. We'll make again for a nice lunch.
Jul 24, 2009
Doesn't come out to look like the picture. It wasn't that great.