Fresh Tomato Cream Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 8 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk, divided
- In a large saucepan, simmer tomatoes, bouillon, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute celery, onion, garlic and pepper flakes in 2 tablespoons butter until tender; add to the tomatoes.
- In another saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add tomato mixture. Stir in the remaining milk; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 221 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 27, 2013
I've been making this soup since the day I got the magazine issue that it originally came in. It's awesome. I use Better than Bouillon Paste instead of regular granules (less salt, more flavor). I also add a little extra onion. A few shakes or oregano and thyme are the only things I add. Everybody I've ever fixed this soup for absolutely loves it!
Oct 6, 2010
I added 2 cans of stewed tomatoes as I didn't think it was tomatoey enough. I didn't peel the tomatoes, I will next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.