Fresh Strawberry Pie with Whipped Cream Recipe
- 3 pints plus 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Set aside 1 cup strawberries. Arrange remaining berries in a pie shell. With a fork, mash reserved 1 cup strawberries; set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add mashed strawberries and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. gradually stir into strawberry mixture. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon over strawberries in crust. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 234 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.