- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Whipped cream
- In a mixing bowl, combine crust ingredients. pat evenly over the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 25 minutes; cool. For filling, cream butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled crust; cover and chill. For glaze, 2 to 3 hours before serving, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin powder until dissolved. stir in lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, arrange strawberries atop filling. Pour glaze over berries. Chill until serving. Top individual servings with a dollop of whipped cream. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forFresh Strawberry Dessert
"Good shortbread crust, however - the filling and glaze were much too sweet for us! I would say the filling is more like a cream cheese icing. Followed the directions exactly."
"This a is a wonderful summer dessert. I make it year round because my grandchildren love it. My 12 year old grandson even wrote a school paper on it, gave raves to Grandma Bea's scrumpdellicious strawberry dessert. His teacher was so impressed with his graphic description that she gave him an A+. A tad time consuming to make, but well worth it."
"Use the dry jello powder. It helps to thicken the glaze."