Fresh Strawberries & Amaretto Cream Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- AMARETTO CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: additional fresh strawberries and toasted almonds
- 1. Place almonds in a food processor; cover and pulse until almonds are finely ground. Add flour, confectioners' sugar and salt; pulse until blended. Add butter and shortening; pulse until butter and shortening are the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in. thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, mash 1 cup strawberries with the lemon juice. Add water. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in mashed berry mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in food coloring if desired. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cooled slightly, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Fold in the remaining sliced berries; transfer to crust. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set.
- 6. In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sour cream, confectioners' sugar and amaretto; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling. Top with additional strawberries and almonds if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: To toast nuts, spread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350&; for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. When using pie weights, cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Reviews for Fresh Strawberries & Amaretto Cream Pie
"This was a good pie, very flavorful. I actually made it with a graham cracker crust and it was very good and easier."
"I would leave the strawberries whole so the juices stay in the berries."
"Served this at a meeting, people raved about it. easy to make, especially good with our fresh local Northwest berries, much sweeter than anything purchased in a store. Yum."
"This is not a pie crust for beginners. This is only the second time I've attempted a pie and I followed the directions to a tee (twice!) and had to throw out both crusts. Finally, I searched for a beginners easy pie crust and used it instead, sprinkling the almonds on before I put in the filling. The flavors of the pie are very good, but if you're not great with crusts, you might want to seek out a different one."
"Delicious and worth the time!"