Fresh Rhubarb Crunch
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press half of the mixture into an 8-in. square baking dish. Top with rhubarb.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Pour over rhubarb.
- Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Jun 11, 2016
Very good. Love the crust on the bottom..i sprayed with pam first and nothing stuck. The only reason i'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is the amount of sugar. i'm a sugarholic and love sweet things, and this was over the top sweet to me.. I made it a second time, cut back the white sugar to half a cup and it was perfect for my taste. The brown sugar in the crust and topping was just the right amount!!Thanks for this recipe...its going in my special "make often" file!!
Aug 22, 2015
A little spray to my glass pan prevents sticking, you have to have the yummy buttery crust on the bottom! Yummy just like my Mom used to make, thanks for the reminder!
Jul 18, 2013
I use that same recipe except that I don't put the crust mix on the bottom. It always sticks. I cut down on the ingredients and put it all on top, and it works much better. This is one of my very favorite desserts. I often make it with the sugar and Splenda blend too.
Jul 18, 2013
Made this recipe many times. Won't bother with rhubarb crisp anymore. This also freezes very well.