Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1. Cut pumpkin in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and microwave on high for 15-18 minutes or until very tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Set aside.
- 3. Drain pumpkin. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-3/4 cups (save remaining pumpkin for another use).
- 4. In large bowl, combine the mashed pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crust.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 239 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Fresh Pumpkin Pie
"So simple and delicious! Not alot of sugar. Nice amount of spices that don't overpower the pie. Absolutely worth the extra effort. Thank you for sharing.This smells so good cooking in the oven. I didn't use the cloves and didn't miss it."
"I haven't made this exact recipe, but have made very similar ones. To get rid of the strings in the pumpkin, I put all filling ingredients in a blender instead of a bowl, and blend for a bit. Very easy, and no strings!"
"This smells fabulous cooking. The flavor is superb! However, even though I mashed the pumpkin, my mom said that I should have run it through a sieve. There were "strings." It was still eaten! By the 3rd day when there was only one piece left, it was very stringy! I don't know what to do about that!"
"I made an account just to review this. Five stars all the way. Were it possible, I would rate higher. This was my first time to make a pumpkin pie literally from scratch (though I cheated with buying a premade crust and using whole milk). This pie is phenomenal! I've never had one this good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to delight during Thanksgiving this year. :)"
"I made this recipe b/c of all the great ratings, but I thought it was the worst pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. Feedback from friends was mixed…a couple thought it was bad too, a couple thought it was ok, but no one raved about it. One liked that it wasn't very sweet. Baked it less time b/c the crust was burning, even with foil around it. pie was a little looser than I would have liked, but didn’t want to keep it in any longer. Can’t believe so many people gave it 5s!"
"I was very intimidated by the idea of making a pumpkin from scratch with a fresh picked pumpkin. I was lucky enough to run across this recipe first and it didn't take me very long at all! My husband hates pumpkin pie and he devoured my pie from this recipe! So easy and DELICIOUS! I will be making this pie recipe every year from now on for Thanksgiving!"
"This is a great from scratch, fresh pumpkin recipe. It doesn't turn out orange, but at least you know there's no artificial colors in it."