Fresh Plum Apple Butter
Use the season's freshest fruits to create your own spread for breads and crackers. This creamy, fruity butter is perfect for a warm summer day. —Nancy Michel, Lakeland, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 3 medium fresh plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- Place plums, apples and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12-15 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Place in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return all to the saucepan. Add sugar and spices; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 82 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 21g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Plum-Apple Butter in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.