Use the season's freshest fruits to create your own spread for breads and crackers. This creamy, fruity butter is perfect for a warm summer day. —Nancy Michel, Lakeland, Florida
Featured In: Holiday Butters
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium fresh plums, pitted and quartered
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash ground allspice
- Place the plums, apples and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender. Return all to the saucepan. Add sugar and spices; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cool to room temperature. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Plum Apple Butter in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009, p39
Reviews forFresh Plum Apple Butter
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2011