VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add pears; toss to coat. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add pear filling.
- Roll remaining pastry into a 12-in. circle. With a fluted pastry wheel, pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into eight 1/2-in. strips. Twist strips and position over filling parallel to each other, about 1/2-in. to 3/4 in. apart. Trim strips even with pastry edge. Seal and flute edges. Brush pastry strips with milk.
- Cover pie loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Pear Pie in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p48