When pears are in season, I love to make this family favorite. It's moist and keeps well, and makes a wonderful dessert as well as a breakfast or brunch cake.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled pears (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed. Gradually add sugar and oil; beat thoroughly. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in pears and vanilla. (The batter will be stiff.)
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and milk; beat until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Fresh Pear Cake in Country Extra July 1993, p51
Reviews forFresh Pear Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2013
"Wow! Everyone at home loved it! easy to make."
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2013