Fresh Marinara Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 15 medium tomatoes (about 6 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 cups cooked penne or bow tie pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until thickened and reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 400 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2-1/2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Aug 22, 2015
We added ground beef finely reprocessed in kitchen Aide after browning. Excellant
May 24, 2015
This was good. The flavor was even better the next day! I love all the fresh ingredients. I actually threw everything in the food processor then straight into the pan and just cooked everything together due to lack of time and it still turned out good.
Feb 22, 2013
Delicious! I added about a cup of pureed sweet potato for extra vitamins. My whole family likes it!
Jul 22, 2012
Very good but carrot flavor was a little too strong. Next time I would add only 1-2 carrots.
Jul 9, 2012
Added green and red pepper, then blended. Super super yummy. Worth the effort.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.