Fresh Garden Vegetable Salad
When I got married, I wrote down all of my mother's favorite recipes, including this one. The refreshing salad is good in any season, but it's especially tasty made with homegrown vegetables. —Ramona Sailor of Buhl, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard and salt; bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over vegetables. Let stand until mixture comes to room temperature. Stir in the cucumber. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 84 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Garden Vegetable Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.