- 4 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- Cut corn off the cob; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, water, bouillon, thyme, pepper and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine the flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forFresh Corn Chowder
"What a great tasting soup. I took advantage of using the last of our summers fresh corn. That added a natural sweetness tot he soup. I also added 1 grated carrot just to add some eye appeal. And I cut back on the potatoes and flour. Just wanted to roll back a few calories. Hubby and I both enjoyed this hearty, flavorful soup. Fresh thyme and sweet Jersey corn made this one a Winner. Its one that I'd recommend trying.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"Very good. My husband raved about this soup. I only used two very large ears of corn, I added some onion, grated one carrot, added fresh red peper. I used 1% milk and omitted the butter to save on fat grams. I have a feeling I will be making again for my husband. Thanks."
"I thawed some frozen sweet corn and added in some carrots and more celery, veggie bouillon cube and also used soy flour (trying to live a vegetarian life style and also gluten free). Very easy to make and save for me not adequately combining the flour and milk to a really smooth consistency I like it a lot. I love how the flavor of the corn is out front and on display. I contemplated attempting this with a sweet potato but I was afraid of the flavor profile but I may try that in the future. Would definitely try again and will expand the veggies for my own dietary requirements."