Fresh Coconut Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the extracts. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in the coconut. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine icing ingredients in large bowl. Beat on high speed until fluffy. Frost top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 584 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 14, 2012
This cake tasted very good. I did not use fresh coconut, I used store bought coconut and it was still excellent tasting.
Aug 15, 2010
This cake is an excellent way to use fresh coconut! It gives the cake a nice flavor without being overpowering. The cake was nice and moist, too. I will definitely make this again.