Fresh Citrus & Seafood Salad
I get rave reviews for this seafood salad placed on a bed of arugula. Grapefruit and clementines add color and tang to the crab and shrimp. —Linda Hickam, Healdsburg, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium grapefruit
- 2 cups lump crabmeat (about 10 ounces), drained
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (61-70 per pound)
- 4 clementines, peeled and segmented or 1 cup mandarin oranges
- 1-1/3 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups fresh arugula
- 2 medium ripe avocados, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each grapefruit; stand grapefruit upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from grapefruit. Working over a large bowl to catch juices, cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit.
- Add crab, onions, shrimp, clementines and grapefruit sections to reserved juices. In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, garlic and salt until blended; pour over seafood mixture and toss to coat. Place arugula in a large shallow bowl. Spoon seafood mixture over arugula. Top with avocados; sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's Note: To toast nuts, spread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, place in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Citrus-sea Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015