- 3/4 cup Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- Butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and 2 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes. Stir in remaining blueberries; let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. While hot, cut biscuits in half horizontally and spread insides with butter. Set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, place heavy cream in a chilled small mixing bowl and with chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1-2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over the bottom of each biscuit. Top with berry mixture and biscuit top. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forFresh Blueberry Shortcakes
"This recipe was really easy to make and the blueberry "sauce" was delicious! We served the extra over ice cream! The only thing I would do differently next time is make the shortcake just a bit bigger. But that is just personal preference!"
"Blueberry perfection...just plain delicious!"