Fresh Blueberry Pie
As a sweet finale to Father's meal, surprise him with this dessert-it'll remind him of the pies his mother used to make. "He doesn't have to know how simple it is!" says Nellie VanSickle of Silver Bay, New York.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Ice cream or whipped cream
- Lemon zest strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup blueberries, water and butter; simmer for 4 minutes. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and remaining blueberries.
- Pour into pie shell. Chill for 2-3 hours. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Garnish with strips of lemon zest if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Blueberry Pie in Crafting Traditions Premiere 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.