Fresh Berry Shortcakes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar, optional
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar and orange juice; set aside.
- For shortcakes, combine the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk 1-1/2 cups cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. scalloped or round biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon cream; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- For whipped cream, beat cream in a large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Just before serving, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottoms on dessert plates; top with strawberry mixture. Replace tops; dollop with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 1/2 cup berries and 1/3 cup whipped cream: 664 calories, 44g fat (27g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 1, 2016
I made these last night for my daughter's birthday "cake" - FABULOUS! Everyone agreed that these were well worth the extra effort (as opposed to shortcakes from Bisquick).
Jun 12, 2014
Better than any shortcake I've ever had.
Jun 7, 2014
People that don't know how to cook or use a computer should not have access to the reviewing system. This recipe was AMAZING.
Aug 3, 2013
I tried this recipe a few times, and though it was a very tasty recipe, I found it to be a bit heavy. Almost cookie like.
Mar 31, 2013
These biscuits are fabulous! The orange zest sets taste to perfection. I liked using cream for moisture, gave it a smooth richness. This one is a keeper!!!
Apr 29, 2012
This was absolutely delicious! The orange juice mixed with the strawberries and the grated orange peel in the shortcakes brings this classic up a notch. This is best the first day. I halved the recipe and used one egg (rather than trying to half a yolk and half an egg) and it turned out great.
Apr 9, 2012
Wow, wow, WOW! Those shortcakes were inspired. It was easy to make and the perfect finish to our Easter dinner. I took the leftover cakes and topped them in the morning with a vanilla glaze. Perfectly paired with a cup of tea. This is going in my recipe box.
Apr 9, 2012
Was a big hit. Added blueberries and whipped cream to inside halves. Absolutely delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.