Fresh Asparagus Quiche
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound fresh aspragus, trimmed
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in. pieces; cut remaining spears into 1/2-in. pieces. Cut all of the asparagus in a small amount of water until tender; drain and set aside. line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and set aside. in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir a small amount into eggs; return all to pan. Stir in cheese and 1/2-in. asparagus pieces. pour into crust. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Arrange the 4-in. asparagus pieces in a spoke pattern on top.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 279 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
May 7, 2016
I love a quiche. This one was a great way to incorporate my garden grown asparagus. My husband loved it as well. He wants it again!
May 2, 2012
I had some friends over for brunch and made this quiche. Everyone LOVED it!! I did add about an extra cup of swiss cheese though. Even leftovers reheated were very tasty!
Dec 12, 2011
This is so good! I like to have a different friend come to brunch once a week, and everyone just raves about the flavor and the beautiful presentation. I slice grape or cherry tomatoes and put one half, cut side down, in between each asparagus rib. So pretty! Thanks for posting, Ann.
Jul 21, 2010
I love trying new things with aspargus, this recipe was an instant hit with a fiance who dislikes most vegitables.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.