Fresh as Summer Salad
I wanted a nice light and healthy salad to go with the spicy Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes I prepare, and this one fits the bill. Plus, it’s easy to grow some of the ingredients yourself.—Victor Finger, Sunbury, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 romaine hearts, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, sorrel and/or lemon balm
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- 3 lemon wedges
- Place romaine in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Add herbs and onions; toss to combine. Whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg and pepper; add to romaine mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Top with garbanzo beans and pistachios. Squeeze lemon wedges over the top. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 104 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Cool Summer Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2011
Jun 27, 2015
Won't be making this again!
Jun 4, 2011
Loved this salad - always looking for new salad recipes. I used mint and basil and added some roasted beets. I'd also suggest coarsely chopping the pistachios. A great salad.