French Toast with Spiced Butter
My whole family arrives early on Christmas morning-all of them looking for this delicious French toast with its cinnamon and nutmeg butter. It's easy to make and serve-and always a hit! Children enjoy it as much as my adult guests.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- SPICED BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Whisk in the milk, sugar and vanilla. Arrange bread in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish; pour egg mixture over top. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook bread on both sides until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream the butter, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Serve French toast with spiced butter and syrup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 909 calories, 51g fat (28g saturated fat), 397mg cholesterol, 1289mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as French Toast with Spiced Butter in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Apr 27, 2012
Loved it! I used 1 teaspoon coconut extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and I did not make the butter. I did not have the time to refrigerate overnight, and they still turned out delicious.