French Toast with Crushed Apple Sauce
Heading out to a morning parade or festival? My handy French toast sticks make great on-the-go breakfasts—complete with an apple dipping sauce. Leftovers freeze well, too. —Cindy Kerschner, Schnecksville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 loaf (1 pound) country bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- Ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine the juice, apple, brown sugar and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 12-15 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Mash apple to desired consistency; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak for 30 seconds.
- Place in skillet; lightly sprinkle with cinnamon. Toast each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and bread.
- Cut French toast into 1-in. strips; serve with sauce.
Originally published as Apple French Toast Sticks in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.