French Toast with Blueberries
“We love this no-guilt breakfast made with whole-grain bread and egg substitute,” says Kathleen Lindenberg of Sharon, Massachusetts. “The best part is that it's delicious, and you don't even miss the syrup!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- In a shallow bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in egg mixture. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook bread over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat blueberries until warmed. Serve over French toast.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 210 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as French Toast with Blueberries in Light & Tasty February/March 2008
Apr 5, 2013
Good and healthy! Great way to start the day with energy.
Mar 26, 2011
Very easy and tasty! Will definitely be making this again!
Apr 29, 2010
I have made this recipe several times and I love it!!