French Toast for Two with Apple Topping
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in 1 tablespoon butter until apple is tender.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with apple mixture and maple syrup if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts2 slices with 1/4 cup apples: 219 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2014
Fantastic! I also added a pinch of nutmeg to the apples.
Nov 1, 2013
This recipe tasted good. I doubled the recipe and used wheat sandwich bread instead of French bread.
May 24, 2013
This is a 5 star recipe for my entire family and my youngest child requests it at least once a week.
Nov 4, 2012
Delicious. Will make double the apple topping as it is so good and didn't last long. May use the apple recipe for dessert toppings as well. Restaurant quality. Thanks for sharing :)