I created these soft, sparkly cookies because my sister loves cinnamon French toast covered in maple syrup. In the case of these cookies, bigger is definitely better! I like to use white whole wheat flour, but any whole wheat flour will work.—Mary Shenk, Dekalb, Illinois
Recommended: 20 Heart-Shaped Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup, vanilla and flavoring. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-3/4-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as French Toast Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p43