French Peas with Water Chestnuts
This is a recipe I revised to include some things our family likes. We grow our own peas for this dish, and my family really loves it!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Dash pepper
- Cook peas according to package directions. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, cook onions and lettuce in oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Combine flour with water until smooth. Stir into onion mixture: cook and stir until thickened.
- Drain peas and add to onion mixture along with the water chestnuts and pepper; heat through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 120 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as French Peas in Country April/May 1990
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.