French Onion Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brandy or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Drain potatoes. Mash with 1/4 cup broth and pepper; set aside and keep warm.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the flour, brandy, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and remaining broth and salt. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and onion mixture.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; spread with potato mixture. Bake, covered, at 375° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 360 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Nov 17, 2014
loved this recipe ...I added garlic turmeric and ginger and used a whole head of broccoli because my husband doesn't like peas
May 27, 2012
This is a wonderful recipe. I have tried other shepherd's pies and have never found one as flavorable as this one. The Worchestershire sauce and stone-ground mustard gave is wonderful flavor as did the french onions. We love it and I will make it many times in the future. My son tropped in for dinner one night when we were having this and he couldn't get enough of it. Try it!
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not a big fan of peas, so I substituted chopped frozen broccoli. The caramelized onions make this recipe really fantastic!
Mar 25, 2012
I thought my DH would love this b/c he is a real meat and potatoes type of guy, but he was not impressed. He thought it was bland and my kids wouldn't even try it. Disappointing b/c this took a fair amount of time to prepare.
Feb 12, 2012
My husband and I loved this dish. I disagree with the reviewer stating that this dish was lacking flavor. In fact, I thought quite the contrary - that it indeed was VERY rich and flavorful. There are more seasonings beyond the broth. The caramelized onions add a rich, sweet flavor, the worcestershire sauce added an immense depth of flavor, and the grainy mustard also added a sharp tang to the dish. Aftering make the dish exactly as the recipe instructs, I absolutely loved this and would make it again. I totally respect playing around with recipes and making them your own, but I think it's difficult to rate a dish poorly when the main ingredients were totally different. Try this dish!
Feb 5, 2012
Just made this for dinner and my very picky family loved it. The flavor was wonderful and left us wishing for left-overs! This has been added to our make again list.
Feb 2, 2012
I used meat from a whole chicken I had roasted rather than the ground turkey. Instead of beef broth I used giblet gravy made from the roast chicken. The gravy gave it a rich taste and overall the pie was very good. I gave it three stars though because I think with just broth it wouldn't have had as nice of a flavor and even so we thought the dish was a bit bland. I'll probably make it again with the gravy but I think I'll season it much more. Note, we like our food with a kick so this is just our preference; if you enjoy tasty but not very seasoned food then this'd probably have more stars from you.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.