- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the tomato juice, bouillon, lemon juice, parsley and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into 10-oz. ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins. Top with French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFrench Onion Tomato Soup
"Technically this isn't a French Onion soup, so..... I made it that way by carmelizing the onions and adding a touch of red wine. Although I do not drink wine, I keep a bottle in my refrigerator just for certain recipes. I kept tasting it and decided it needed something else, so I also added just a dash of worchestershire sauce. My husband absolutely loved it and said to keep the additions and to make it again. :-)"