French Onion Soup with Provolone
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and sugar in 3 tablespoons butter until golden brown. Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add bread. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Ladle soup into 2 ovenproof bowls. Place a slice of cheese in each bowl; top with bread and remaining cheese. Bake at 375° until the cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 633 calories, 47g fat (30g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1472mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 19, 2013
Sep 2, 2013
Love this! I tried this French onion soup several years ago and this is the recipe I keep coming back to. Instead of the nutmeg, I use a dash apple pie spice and I'm certain that's what makes this soup outstanding.
Nov 20, 2012
It was delicious! This flavorful soup is definatly in my "Make it again" Book.
Jan 21, 2012
Oct 5, 2011
this was good but i didn't care for the nutmeg flavor in it. would skip that ingredient next time.
Sep 17, 2011
Definitely restaurant quality! thank you for sharing. We're serving it to guests at the next opportunity! Awesome!
Jan 27, 2011
Mar 6, 2009
I love this recipe. It's quick and easy, and above all, taste's great.